Ordering and Comparing Length Measurements as Numbers
1.OA.A.1: Use addition and subtraction within 20 to solve word problems involving situations of adding to, taking from, putting together, taking apart, and comparing, with unknowns in all positions, e.g., by using objects, drawings, and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
- I can use a symbol (e.g. ?, X) to represent an unknown number in a problem.
- I can determine the operation to solve world problems with unknowns.
- I can solve world problems by adding 3 numbers in different ways.
1.MD.A.1: Order three objects by length; compare the lengths of two objects indirectly by using a third object.
- I can put 3 objects in order by length.
- I can compare the lengths of two objects by using a third object to compare them.
1.MD.A.2: Express the length of an object as a whole number of length units, by laying multiple copies of a shorter object (the length unit) end to end; understand that the length measurement of an object is the number of same-size length units that span it with no gaps or overlaps. Limit to contexts where the object being measured is spanned by a whole number of length units with no gaps or overlaps.
- I can use the same size non-standard objects as repeating units.
- I can measure length using a variety of non-standard units.
- I can express the length of the measured object as a number.
- I can show how to measure the length of an object using non-standard units.
1.MD.A.4: Organize, represent, and interpret data with up to three categories; ask and answer questions about the total number of data points, how many in each category, and how many more or less are in one category than in another.
- I can identify different methods to organize data (e.g. tally chart, sorting, classifying, categorizing).
- I can identify different methods to represent data (e.g. tally chart, sorting, classifying, categorizing). I can organize data with up to three categories.
- I can interpret data representation by asking and answering questions about the data.
- I can represent data with up to 3 categories (e.g. tally chart, bar graph pictograph, etc.)